Thursday 27 September 2007

Not quite an indian summer then?

After a terrible summer, we were led to believe by some clever people at the Met Office that we would get an Indian summer. September has come and almost gone and still no sign of it!

And actually, I think it might have been the coldest September I remember since I have been here, with some surprisingly early frosts. More Artic Summer than Indian!

I had suspiscions we had a couple of frosts last week after I found black and floppy leaves on my beans and squashes and some soft rotting small pumpkins. My doubts were confirmed when a fellow allotmenteer at Kennyhill allotments reported similar symptoms affecting her beans. But this morning, it is official : the cars and grass outside the flat were all covered in those white little crystals that tell me that winter really is on the way.

Time to start winter preparations on the plot, protect the last of the fragile summer plants with fleece and mulch the hardy and perennial ones ...

3 comments:

urbanbumpkin said...

It is such a shame, our courgettes had only just got going really after a really slow start.

And I think the beans may have had it.

I'm not holding out much hope for any of my tomatoes ripening either now!

Pepette said...

We had quite a few courgettes this summer but the pumpkins were really behind and I don't think we'll get much of a crop this year...

Need to assess the damage to the beans; hope yours survive!

I have given up on my outdoors tomatoes, I will collect the green tomotoes this weekend and remove the plants. Some of them are still flowering and haven't even set fruits yet!! Might give the ones in the greenhouse a bit longer though but if the cold persists, they won't come to anything!

Mo said...

You must be getting different weather in the west. September has been quite nice for us and the weather in N Ireland was gorgeous. We did get a frost this week though. Hope you can save the last of the veg. Must try some of your recipes - I love my veggies.