Friday 28 September 2007

Apples

Overladden apple tree!

These are the sweetest red apples ever ...


Guess what I'm doing this weekend? Yes, picking apples! I have been collecting the windfalls for a while but I think most of them are ripe now and it's time for a good picking session.

We have another three apple trees on the plot, two are cooking apples - very tart - and the other one, I'm not sure as the apples are really small and I only used them for juicing last year and I don't remember actually tasting one!

Last year, we had tons of the cooking apples and only a few of those red ones. We had plans to make cider but didn't in the end for lack of time. We just ate a lot of apple related desserts and apple sauce!

We were hoping to have a go at cider this year but the cooking apple trees only have a few fruits on because it was very windy when they were flowering and not many flowers actually stayed on the tree! I'm not sure we'll have enough for cider and I think the red ones are probably too sweet ... Looking forward to apple and blackberry crumble though!!!

4 comments:

dee said...

Im planning on planting a couple of apple trees this year. Thats if i ever get round to clearing the jungle at the back :)

dee said...

I hadn’t realised that the link to my page didn’t work, it does for me!
They are still in beta and haven’t gone live yet but are still signing people on …
Have you signed up?
Its a great site :)

Pepette said...

Apples are such a versatile fruit, I would definetely recommend planting one on your plot.
Here, we're not allowed to plant fruit trees anymore. I kind of see why... We have 4 altogether and it was quite a bit of a pain trying to fit beds around them and you have to plan carefully what you put under them as they cast quite a bit of shade. But now that I found a way of working with them, I wouldn't be without!

Mo said...

We've got a few apple trees growing down our street - the old school used to be near them and the story goes that the kids dropped so many apples cores at lunchtime that eventually trees grew.

You have to be quick picking them as they disappear pretty fast. We also get the windfalls from our neighbours tree - great for cooking. I just had one with custard tonight.