Wednesday 3 October 2007

Time to dust off the knitting needles!


When I work in town I like nothing better than an Innocent smoothie to go with my lunch, they are the best around, 100% fruit, no sugar, additives or preservatives. Almost as good as the ones I make at home but a great deal more expensive! And now, I would be buying them for a good cause.

They are raising money for Age Concern, a charity helping older people. They have launched the Big Knit project, in which they are asking people to knit little woolly hats for their smoothies bottles. The behatted smoothies bottles will be sold in Sainsbury’s in November and for each bottle sold, 50p will go to Age Concern. The money raised will be used to provide support to older people in winter including hot meals, blankets and advice on how to keep their houses warm. Last year, £115,000 was raised - that’s 230,000 hats! This year the aim is to raise £200,000 with 400,000 hats being knitted.
Thanks to the Urban Bumpkin for reminding me about it. I had a look at the patterns on the website and those little hats are really a doddle to knit. I made those 4 little ones in just one evening. They are the plain and boring type but some people are a great deal more creative, check out the Hats of the Week section for inspiration!

My contribution to the Big Knit project - more to come!

4 comments:

Pascale Clerk said...

One of my colleagues knitted one at work. It's cute isn'it ? Like a mouse's hat. Did you know Innocent has been criticised for its adverts that claim it's a natural detoxifiant, when cutting on alcohol and drinking water is the best way to detox ? It's their first "faux-pas". Like you, I'm crazy about the stuff.

Pepette said...

They are very cute indeed. I have made some with little stripes, they are even cuter, I need to post the pictures!

Didn't know about the adverts criticism - talk about bad timing! But I'll still buy them, they are just too good.

Mo said...

These are really cute. I might be tempted to have a go.

Pepette said...

Go fo it Mo, it's all for a good cause! :)